Sunday, January 17, 2010

I'm here!

Well I am finally am finally at the YWAM base! Everything with traveling and all went really smoothly- nothing wrong at all. Things went even better than I had planned because when I got to the area where I was waiting for my shuttle to take me up to Kruger Park, at the point when I really was tired of being by myself there was a girl from my DTS waiting for the same shuttle! She wasn’t supposed to be on it but things ended up that way and we were both pretty happy to meet each other.

So then after four more hours of traveling…we finally made it to our base! Everything here is so beautiful! The landscape is just gorgeous. It is really mountainous so you can just see huge mountains all around. Where we are staying is not quite right in town which makes it nice because we sort of have our area to ourselves. All the girls live in a room with bunk beds and we have one bathroom. There are a lot of little buildings on the land where the staff lives. Our team is made up of 15 people, and we have people from America, Switzerland, Canada, and Africa (10 girls and 5 boys). We are all pretty much in our twenties. There is also another team here now from Orlando. There are a DTS too but they did their lecture phase in Orlando, and then came here for their outreach. There are 40 of them so it is a little crazy but fun J

We just got back now from a barbecue at one of the staff leaders houses. We went with just our DTS group so it was nice to just be with just our groups and get to know each other more. It was also nice to have a little taste of home watching Kung Fu Panda haha

We got sort of a schedule to start off with. This week we have orientation so we really are just learning a lot about what we will be doing. Basically, on Monday-Thursday we will be in lectures and then community outreach every afternoon besides Tuesday. Then Friday is kind of different each week, but usually we will be doing something more fun or sometimes even tourist things. Every Saturday we will do community outreach and every Sunday we have off all day. Then after our three months of lecture are done we will be traveling to another country or two for outreach. I had thought we were going to stay around here but we will definitely be leaving the country. We don’t actually know where yet though haha

So we will be pretty busy once everything starts up. But now everything is very chill and we have done a lot of sleeping and just getting to know each other. Theres really not too much more to tell but I will be sending out more updates later!

I love you guys and I miss you all already

6 comments:

  1. Glad everything went well! We are all praying for you. Keep allowing God to use you!
    -Dan

    ReplyDelete
  2. KELLY!!! I love you and am so excited for all that you will experience these next six months. Give SA a hug for me. all of it.
    -Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kelly -

    Glad to hear from you!

    Sounds like things are going great!

    I like to hear about your adventures.

    Keep the updates coming!

    Chip

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kelly - so glad you are safe. We miss you! I forwarded your blog to a few others so we can all keep tabs on you. Be safe and Godspeed! Love, Fran

    ReplyDelete
  5. KEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLY!

    I am so proud of you my friend, for so many things. Listening to God's call, putting yourself out there, getting to know people...it is all very inspiring. I'll miss your texts and random phone calls haha. Lovely blog entry, keep them coming. I am ALWAYS praying for you. This is going to be an amazing several months.

    LOVE,
    Emolay

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes kung-fu panda is the shiz son!!! But dude it sounds like God is gonna do some INCREDIBLE things through you guys down there! I cant wait to hear about what he does!! Keep rejoicing!!!

    Love ya
    Mike

    ReplyDelete