Friday, January 22, 2010

So I have to keep a journal for my internship credits so I am just going to be putting my entries from that on here. I cant post every day though so I will just be posting from a bunch of days all at once from now on. Hope things are going well!

January 19, 2010

We classified today as the BEST day every! Haha We are just having orientation week this week, which is really great though. This morning we had some lectures and one of our lectures was really great. Our speaker asked us to name three things: two things that we want to happen in these 5 months and a dream of ours that we have. It really made us all open up to each other and bring down our walls a little bit. We also decorated journals that the base gave us to

In the past couple of days we have also gotten some cultural lessons. My new friend Pinkie, from South Africa, plucked a litchi (a fruit that almost tastes like a grape but it has a hard shell around it) off a tree on base with me and I got to try one with her. Our South African students have also been teaching us some songs that they sing at Church. We learned them in both languages. We learned the song about “flowing” like eagles. J I also got to help make the paper bead necklaces that they make over here and I brought back from Uganda!! I didn’t really do much, but I got to watch at least. Then today we also went to the mall closest to here and were able to shop for some things. A lot of us got some food from the Pick N Pay grocery store- mostly the girls got chocolate and juice haha Then we spent the night trying to sleep while Pinkie stood on a chair demanding all of our attention and Lizzie (my new friend from Switzerland)kept turning on and off the lights to check for bugs and then continued to enter the bathroom clapping to ward off the spiders J

January 20, 2010

Things are starting to pick up a little more every day. We have had worship every morning for this week, but one of our staff, who has been leading worship, has been trying to show us different ways to think of worship. Today we simply sat around and first told stories about things Christ did in the Gospels starting with “I remember when…” Then we started the same way but told stories about our own lives and ways that Christ has acted. We also got assigned our work duties for the next three months. I was assigned to grounds keeping along with three others from our team. We spent the first two hours today picking up bricks and wheeling them into a ditch nearby. It was so much fun….not really J haha but I know it will be something to learn from since we will be doing our work duties every day for the next three months. We’ve had a lot of sickness going around and we actually just had to take Lizzie to the hospital, so we are praying that she will get better but also that it doesn’t continue to spread.

Oh…and today we played extreme musical chairs which meant that two people lost each round and had to do a certain contest to win a spot back in the game. After some extreme battling…the final two ended up being my friend Lennon and I. The death match was a drink milking contest. Even though I was given a carton of cold 2% mil and Lennon was given warm heavy cream, he drank the entire carton and I lost to the extreme L

January 21, 2010

Today we went to the communities for the first time J I will once again say that South Africa has to be one of the most amazingly beautiful countries ever. But we visited two of the orphan’s community centers that we will be working with. We played with the kids and…they are just super adorable J

January 22, 2010

Friday FUN day! Today was once again the BEST day ever. We spent the day driving through Kruger National Park, which is larger than the entire country of Israel. We saw zebras, a ton of elephants, lions, giraffe, wild dogs, crocodiles, baboons, other monkeys, gazelle, warthogs, hippos, and probably a lot of other animals that I cant remember haha. To see lions is a extremely rare thing and we saw a pair of a male and a female twice….and they were literally 5 feet from our car. The one pair was sitting right on the side of the road as we were driving by. It was insane! Then we went to a fantastic swimming pool and spent the afternoon there. We are all pretty much about to fall over from being so tired because we had to leave at 5 AM to see animals. But it was pretty much a fabulous day J

1 comment:

  1. Wow - what an experience!!! I'm sure each day will be the BEST DAY EVER - for unique reasons.
    Is Pinkie the girl on the Ten Thousand Homes web site? She's adorable (and I love her name).
    Have a great weekend, get some rest. We love and miss you!

    ReplyDelete